Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Visual Studio 2008 XAML Intellisense

I noticed the other day that that XAML Intellisense had stopped working in Visual Studio 2008. A quick web search revealed that others had experienced this problem after installing a version of the Windows SDK. I installed the Windows SDK for Windows Server 2008 a couple of weeks ago so it may have been the culprit. A bit more digging revealed that the Windows SDK team have published a workaround for this problem over on their blog. I followed the workaround and XAML Intellisense is now working again.

Click here for the Windows SDK Workaround.

XAMLIntellisenseBug

7 comments:

  1. I got this error when I try to register the dll.. :(

    The module "C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\MSEnv\TextMgrP.dll”" failed to load.

    Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .DLL files.

    The specified module could not be found.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @michael

    Ok, that's odd. So the dll does not exist at the location on disk? What version of Visual Studio do you have?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @michael

    You could also try repairing Visual Studio via Programs and Features control panel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have everything in place still it is not working...

    can you tell me the reason ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The posted workaround specifically addresses an issue where the Windows Server 2008 SDK is installed and intellisense stops working. I can only suggest that you check the following registry key and if default is empty, you need to repair Visual Studio 2008 from the control panel:

    On X86 machines: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{73B7DC00-F498-4ABD-AB79-D07AFD52F395}\InProcServer32

    On X64 machines: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{73B7DC00-F498-4ABD-AB79-D07AFD52F395}\InProcServer32

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had the same problem as Michael--until I removed the right-quote (not ASCII quote) from the end of the regsvr32 command that I'd copy+pasted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have NOT installed Windows Server 2008 SDK at all, but I also don't have IS for all XAML file (including Silverlight). The HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{73B7DC00-F498-4ABD-AB79-D07AFD52F395}\InProcServer32 points to "C:\Programme\Gemeinsame Dateien\Microsoft Shared\MSEnv\TextMgrP.dll", seems OK.

    So what is the problem?!?!?

    ReplyDelete